Saturday, March 5, 2016

Creamy Zucchini Soup (vegan + gluten free)


I had never thought to make soup out of zucchinis. When I lived in Spain in 2014 my host family made me "puree." It was very simple, just boiled zucchinis and onions pureed together with salt and olive oil, topped with some croutons. I loved it! I was amazed something so simple could be so delicious! This is a variation of that recipe. I added in some spices, spinach and corn and added some broth cubes to the water. 

This also makes a great soup to have if you have a dental procedure done... I made it for my boyfriend when he got his wisdom teeth taken out in January. All you need to do is puree the whole thing together rather than leaving some of it chunky.

 You can chop the onion and zucchini up into fairly large chunks since they will be blended up later anyway.

  

Creamy Zucchini Soup
Makes 6-8 servings

2 lbs zucchini, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 cups low/no sodium vegetable broth
2 cups frozen or fresh corn
4 cups spinach
1/4 c raw cashews

1. Put 1 cup of corn, and all the cashews and the spinach in a blender. Set aside.

2. Put all other ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender. Pour into the blender with the other ingredients and puree until smooth. You will probably have to do this in batches.

3. Pour back into the pot and add the other 1 cup of corn. Bring to a simmer and cook until the corn is heated through. Serve hot with croutons or crackers.



No comments:

Post a Comment