Saturday, March 5, 2016

Garlic Lover's Pasta Salad (vegan + gluten free options)




Oh this pasta....

This has become one of my after-work food cravings that I can whip up in a jiffy whenever I want something creamy.

The Good Earth Food Coop has a vegan garlic lovers pasta that I based this recipe on. I used to buy a little pack of it every time I went there until I finally got it into my head that I could make my own at home for cheaper. The only flaw was that then I have a huge batch of something I'm addicted to just sitting in my fridge, calling to me. So now I try to just make it for get togethers with family and friends to share so that I don't eat the entire thing myself in a day or two. I used organic wheat macaroni noodles this time, but have often used bowtie noodles too and really like that. It can easily become gluten free if you just use gluten free pasta noodles.

If you really like uber creamy pasta salad add a bit more mayo. If you really like the flavor of nutritional yeast toss in some more. This is a simple recipe and the proportions aren't very important, so feel free to adjust it to your taste :)

Garlic Lover's Pasta Salad
Makes about 8 cups

16 oz pasta noodles of your choice
1 1/2 c vegan mayo (I really like Just Mayo)
1 c frozen peas
1/2 c nutritional yeast
8 cloves garlic, diced
1 1/2 tsp salt
pepper, to taste

1. Prepare pasta noodles as directed on package

2. Drain pasta noodles, and allow them to cool. *

3. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir well until combined.

4. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. *

*I tend to just rinse the noodles with cold water to cool them faster if I want to make and eat this right away. If you do, rinsing the noodles removes the starch from them that helps the mayo hold on to them. To combat this, first just add a little of the mayo and nutritional yeast to the noodles as well as the peas and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. The frozen peas help suck the warmth from the noodles and cool it faster. Then add everything else and stir to combine. The texture won't be quite as great, but it'll still taste great!

No comments:

Post a Comment